We just wanted to say a big thank you to all those that attended our Fun Dog Walk event recently.
After two years of being unable to hold the event due to Covid, it was great to see so many people (and their dogs) again, both familiar and new faces, come out and support us.
The event was a huge success, raising almost £500!! As an independent charity, your kind donations will be used to help many more animals find their new forever loving homes.
We hope you and your dogs enjoyed your walk around the sunny Wethersfield countryside and we will see you again at Blackmore End on Sunday 24th July for our annual Fun Day!
We invite applications from anyone interested in the role of Full Time Fixed Term Animal Welfare Assistant.
This is for two full time fixed term posts (12 months) involving all aspects of animal care.
You will ideally have animal care orientated qualifications, experience of animal husbandry is essential and you will ideally hold a full UK driving licence.
A more detailed job description is available below:
Good communication abilities, both verbal and written, with good organisational and interpersonal skills are essential. You will be numerate, computer literate and a self-motivator with huge amounts of energy, commitment and enthusiasm.
Please note this position requires you to work alternate weekends (two each month).
Applications (incl. a C.V and covering letter) explaining why you think you would be suitable for this position by 8th April 2022. Applications will be reviewed w/c 11th April with interviews likely to be held on 20th April 2022.
Please apply on Indeed or email applications to Sam Garvey at:
For children and adults alike, Easter is often a time for indulging in chocolate without feeling too guilty. After all what’s Easter without Easter eggs? But pet owners, beware! Don’t be tempted to share your Creme Egg with your pet, no matter how mournful they look. Cocoa contains the compound theobromine, which is highly toxic to dogs and cats.
WHAT SHOULD I DO IF MY PET EATS CHOCOLATE?
Most pet owners take care to keep chocolate out of reach. But at Easter it can be hard, what with Easter egg hunts and an excess of chocolate around the house! If you think your dog or cat has eaten chocolate, it’s advisable to contact a vet as soon as possible. Small amounts of theobromine might have a negligible effect but it’s very difficult to know how much your pet has actually ingested.
The degree of chocolate toxicity also depends on how much chocolate your pet has eaten and what type of chocolate it was, compared to the size of your dog or cat. Dark chocolates have higher levels of theobromine and are more toxic, milk chocolates have moderate levels of theobromine, and white chocolates have low levels of theobromine. Generally, the more cocoa solids contained in the chocolate, the more theobromine will be present, and the higher the risk of toxicity to your pet.
HOW DO I KNOW IF MY PET HAS EATEN CHOCOLATE?
The signs that a dog or cat has ingested chocolate vary depending on the amount they’ve eaten. The most common tell-tale symptom is diarrhoea.
Some dogs show other signs like panting, increased heartbeat and urination. Theobromine poisoning can be fatal so don’t delay if you suspect your dog or cat has eaten even a small amount of chocolate. Take them straight to a vet. Better to be safe than sorry.
Other foods that are toxic for dogs and cats are:
Onions, Garlic, Chives, Macadamia nuts, Avocado, Alcohol, Grapes, Raisins, xylitol